11 February 2010

Lighting fetish

Lately I’ve been thinking about lamps. A lot. Yes, I know this will really, really please John — yet another homewares obsession. But I haven’t bought any… yet.

I really want an Arco lamp (most likely replica, since I can’t possibly imagine being able to afford the real thing). I think we have the ideal spot for one, just to the right of the stereo cabinet (left of the dining room in the below pictures, where the black Ikea lamp currently is). My idea is to have the base in this corner, and the shade arched over to the couches for our reading pleasure. The beauty of these things is that the arch is so high (230 centimetres, to be exact), so super-tall John can walk under it with ease. Since he won’t let me have pendant lights for fear of him hitting his head on them, this is the perfect solution!

 
  
 

The original Arco lamp was designed in 1962 by Achille Castiglioni and Pier Giacomo Castiglioni. Here are some amazing pictures of it in some other homes.
 

 Images: tiimeless-design, eBay

3 comments:

  1. I wholeheartedly support the purchase of lamps.

    Overhead lighting sucks like whoa.

    An Acro lamp (or equivalent knockoff) would be fantastic in your place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. An Arco would look great in your place also. I was looking at the replica a while ago at Matt Blatt here in Sydney (Marrickville), they had the black and the white base. Both are stunning.

    eBay has USD prices around $300, Matt Blatt is $A425 on their website. USD equivalent of $425 is about $A380, weigh it up with postage costs, still better on eBay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! I'm so proud! It's exciting to recognize "famous furniture". Though I have never been myself, I understand there might be quite a few pieces on display at the MOMA too.

    ReplyDelete